The Toy Museum’s house on Lutsu Street 8 is one of the oldest surviving wood buildings in Tartu. It was built at the beginning of 1770s and presents elements from both late baroque and classicism. The house was first used by a Russian church and later as the school of Tartu garrison. In the second quarter of the 19th century the building passed on to private owners and remained a private house until the end of the 20th century. In 1998 the town bought the house to be the new location of the Toy Museum. It was renovated in 2002–2003 to look like it did back in the 18th century.
A stone house in the courtyard of Lutsu Street 8 was used as a carriage house in the 18th and 19th century. Later the building stood in ruins until it was renovated in 2005 with the financing of the European Union.
House is a building with an interesting history. The oldest remains of a wood building in Lutsu
St. 2 date back to the beginning of the 14th century. During the same time the
wood houses were demolished and two new, stone-and-brick houses were built.
From one of the stone houses a wholly preserved hypocaust stove and staircase
were found. During the second half of the 17th century, court
chairman-president Lars von Fleming lived here, and on later plans the building
is marked as “The President’s House”. Both buildings were severely damaged
during the Great Northern War at the beginning of 18th century and the
house that still stands today was built during 1755-1758. In the 19th
and 20th century the building had several different owners. During
the Soviet time the interior of the house was reconstructed and it was used by
sports organizations, city institutions and a theatre. Although this type of
house was quite common among the wealthier middle-class during the 18th
century in the Baltic countries and Russia, the building on Lutsu Street has a
remarkable baroque portal and door making it unique example of 17th
century architecture in Estonia.
One of the oldest wood buildings in Tartu, Lutsu St. 2 was renovated with the funding of European Union in 2008–2010.